Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How exposed are you?


Did a quick Google search for one of my favorite bloggers this morning. I was looking for a previous post that they'd written about techie stuff, when I happened across SPOKEO.COM. Initially the search result gave me a list of links associated with my blogger but then it showed a map of the USA with all the placed marked where someone of the same name LIVED. I was a little taken aback by this so I did a quick little search of my name. Oh My Word. I did a little more digging and actually found a one search result that showed my previous address as well another one that showed my current one, a picture of my current home with the ENTIRE address listed, my home phone number listed, and my personal email address. WTH?!


I'm a pretty open person and all but I make sure that nothing about me is out there that I don't want to be out there. I Google myself at least a few times a year just to see how long it would take someone (or perhaps an disgruntled student) to find me and and my Facebook privacy settings are check regularly. There are quite a few people in the world that share my name but this information was a bit too much. So I did another quick Google search to find out how to have this information removed.  I completed the removal request for both profiles and had them both deleted within 2 minutes. It was easy peasy. Here are the steps.

1. Visit Spokeo.com

2. Use the search bar at the top of the page to search for yourself. You might have to be a little diligent here but most creeps are so you should be as well to protect yourself.

3. After you find the result that lists your information go to http://www.spokeo.com/privacy and enter in the link for your profile, your email address, and the captcha.

4. Spokeo.com will send you an email with a link where you can delete the profile that you requested.

5. Click the link and the profile is deleted automatically. Done and Done.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up. Take care.

Angee Lee

1 comment: