Friday, March 18, 2011

Embellish Color Trends: Masculine - # 1 Dad

Last week was spring break for me. I didn't get a whole lot of crafting done, like I'd planned, because I was at the hospital all week with my dad. He had a allergic reaction to either some bad seafood he'd eaten or some medication he'd taken. It caused his throat to begin to swell. All the swelling woke him up in the middle of the night and he got up and drove himself, DROVE HIMSELF, to the VA hospital. (Crazy man. He said he didn't think he'd make it if he waited for an ambulance. The doctors said he made it to the ER just in time. Can't even imagine driving myself to the hospital while my throat is, essentially, swelling shut. Scary...)

Once he got to the emergency room they went to work right away giving him epinephrine to open his airway and stop the swelling. Well, the epinephrine reacted with another one of his medications he takes and sent it heart into tachycardia, or super fast heart rate (it was at over 120 beats per minute). So they gave him another medication to counteract the epinephrine. Needless to say 2 days later his blood test indicated that he'd has a small heart attack (probably from the Tachycardia), so they did a angiogram to make sure there wasn't any blockage in his heart.  Luckily there was no blockage in his arteries around his heart but the tachycardia did send his heart into fibrillation, which means your heart doesn't beat normally it quivers which is very dangerous. (As you can see spending 5 days at the hospital will teach you a bit of latin) To fix the fibrillation they had to perform a cardioversion (shock to the heart) to stabilize his heart rate. So he had the cardioversion and everything went back to normal. They will be monitoring his heart rate over the next month to make sure everything stays on track.

All that happened in a span of 5 days and I'm glad to say that he got out of the hospital on Friday and is doing well.

While I was awaiting the phone call that he was going to be release I happened across Sarah Martina's blog via my google reader and her entry to the latest embellish color challenge and I decided to give it a go.



Took me about 20 minutes to get this one together. And I like the result. Definitely will be doing more challenges as they are so much fun (and definitely live up to their name sake).

So hop of over to the Embellish Mag Blog to take a look at the design teams cards and submit one of your own.

 


So how did I do? I couldn't quite figure out how to get all the colors to go together so I just went with texture. All of the cardstock has some type of texture from the woodgrain pattern from the PTI Background Basics: Woodgrain stamp to the herringbone pattern on the Mat Stack 4 stamp from PTI. I also stamped the card base in IO Canvas Cover-a-Card stamp, but you can't really tell.

This challenge was so much fun and definitely a challenge. Masculine cards walk a fine line between fussy and streamlined. I hope my dad like this one. 3 Month's until Father's Day but I'm just glad that my dad is happy and healthy and at home.

Sweet scraps.


Angee Lee

5 comments:

  1. I hope your dad is recovering well now. That is a scary story. You card is great! Perfect for your #1 Dad! Thanks for taking on the Masculine Color Trends challenge with Embellish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ashley for stopping by. And my dad is much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, I'm so grateful your dad is doing better. I can't imagine going through that, but thank goodness you had the time off to be able to spend it with him and by his side... I'm sure he's grateful. :) And you did a WONDERFUL job! This challenge was t-o-u-g-h, but you didn't seem to struggle one bit. ;) I'm sure your dad will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sarah. I was glad I able to spend this time with him. Made me really appreciate him as a person and not just as my dad.
    This challenge was hard but super fun. It took me a little finagling to get things the way I liked. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] last week I posted a card I made for a Embellish Magazine Masculine challenge. I loved it so much I decided to do another. [...]

    ReplyDelete