Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Favorite Flowers

I am in a pretty colorful mood today. I'm finding all types of inspirations via the internet. Yesterday was all about shopping and midcentury modern furniture. Today is all about flowers. I've never really been a garden girl (oh, 2peas GG i wish) but never really a dirt, and sun type of girl until recently when my mom and I purchased our home did I really understand the calming, rewarding, and theraputic nature of gardening. 

So in honor of all that here are a few of my favorite flowers. 

First in line is my all time favorite. RANUNCULUS. Oh my I will have to find a way to grow these in my garden as I love them so much. The color variation is awesome. Click here for great tips to grow Ranunculus.  



Check out these gorgeous bouquets. Oh My Word. 





Ranunculus Flower Ball







Ranunculus


Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum

It is the national flower of Japan and don't your just love the tight pompons, and the beautiful range of colors. 

Calla


The Calla Lilly

I first fell in love with this flower at my good friend, Alaric's funeral. This flower is just so serene to me. It has a calming effect on me with it's simple design and soft coloring. God is awesome and this flower reminds me of that every time I see it. 

Canna

The Canna

It's the quintessential tropical flower. Don't you just love the yellow background with the orange specks. It makes me happy just looking at it. Here are a few more of my favs for your enjoyment. 

Gardenia


Hyacinth


Iris


Orchid


Peony


Stephanotis

So my favorite flower story. A good friend of mine decided to take me out right before Valentine's Day last year. I'd just gotten out of a very serious relationship and we were both working on the actual V-day so we went out the weekend before. He showed up to my door with a bouquet of white lilies.

About 1/2 of the flowers had already bloomed while the other half were just bulbs. I put the flowers in my bed room on the night stand and left them there all week. About 1/2 way through the week most of the flowers had already died. I snipped those away and left the bulbs in tact. Well to my surprise when I got home from work on Valentine's day the bulbs had bloomed. It was the best surprise in the world. I don't even think I told my friend this story. It really changed my perspective about the breakup and helped me truly move past that relationship. I don't know if he knew those bulbs would bloom within a week or not but I can't even tell you how much I loved seeing those flowers after a long day at work. So Julian if you read this thank you so much. You have no idea how much those flowers mean(t) to me. :-D I'm still down for sushi anytime. lol.

Hugs. 

Angee

2 comments: