Friday, July 23, 2010

Who is Angee Lee Butler?

My legal name is Angela Butler. So who is this Angee Lee person, you ask?

Angee Lee is  a mixture of my nickname (Angee) and my grandmother's middle name (Lee). I decided to name my blog this because my grandmother has been such a huge influence in my life not only personally but also in my creative process.

Being a southern woman, I was raised with a keen since of appropriateness, etiquette, and expectation. What I mean by that is this:

I know how to set a table for a seven course meal even though I've never in my entire life eaten one.  I learned at a very young age that you do not cross your legs at the knee, only at the ankle, especially around men. I learned to always say Please, Thank You, Yes Ma'am/Sir, and No Ma'am/Sir. Among other things, I also learned a gentleman is to walk on the outside if walking on the sidewalk with a lady.

That being said, my grandmother adhered to all those expectations, and more,  placed upon her by others with a smile and never a harsh word, while never losing her love of God, nor her family. She was a servant of others all her life, as is my mother. As I, too, hope to be.

However, growing up in the modernity of today society I've also grown into a knowledge of my self that I can express in ways that my grandmother and mother could/can not, and I thank both of these phenomenal ladies for giving me the tools, support, and motivation to be who I am know, who I want to be, and someone that I know they are proud to call Daughter and Granddaughter.

So Angee is truly me, and Lee is the legacy of women who made me who I am today.

Angee Lee Butler

Funny quotes I came across online today:

"The most well-bred person in a room is the one who makes the fewest other people uncomfortable." - Lord Chesterfield




"I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little, if only out of politeness. And then you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny, and its best to be as pretty as possible for destiny." ~CoCo Chanel




I find these highly amusing. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment